Welcome to My World.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Pigs

Now, I don't usually do this on my blog, but I figured, what the hell. Before I get too deep into reviewing this book, if you don't know me, you need to understand something about me. I buy comics. I buy lots of comics. I buy approximately $30-$40 worth of comics on a weekly basis. I buy events. I bought all the New 52 #1's. I buy all different kinds of comics, and not just superhero comics. I buy sci-fi, I buy fantasy, I buy historical fiction. I'm pretty much open to anything.

So when I heard Nate Cosby and Ben McCool were going to be writing a book called "Pigs", I was interested to say the least. To be honest, I wanted to know what the title was about. I mean, come on, at first it doesn't sound appealing. But then I read the description of the book. To say I was interested would be a gross understatement. One of the strengths of this book is sheer possibility. I know, I know, this is the case with any and all comics, but for some reason, I could only think of all the different ways the book could go. My excitement over it started to build.

And then came the day it finally came out. As someone who follows Nate Cosby on Twitter, I'd heard about how cool the art was looking and how psyched Cosby and Ben McCool were over the book, so when it finally came out, I was pretty hyped up to read it.

I have to say, it didn't disappoint. The cover by Jock is just awesome, and there really isn't anything else to say about that. The book itself is great. I like reading dialogue that feels real. As someone who has participated in interrogations in the past, it was refreshing to read characters in a comic talk like people in the real world. I've seen people react like that in the interrogation room. Not just that, but it's not what you expect. It's not your stereotypical comic book, with a cookie-cutter good guy and bad guy.

Another one of the book's strengths, at least to me, is the choice of Breno Tamura as the artist. Up to this point, I wasn't familiar with any of this artist's work. Yet coupled with the writing style and mood of the book, it shines. It seems to be the perfect fit. This is important to me as a reader because there are some times when I read comics and the art, not the story, is the problem. I'm not talking about the artist not being talented or not, what I'm talking about is the right artist for the right job. Sometimes, even though an artist is very good, they just aren't the person who should be drawing that book. Such is not the case with Tamura. The artwork is meant for this writing style, and serves as more than a worthy compliment.

All in all, this is a book I really enjoyed, and can't wait to read again next month. The feel of the book is almost like a new campaign on Black Ops. It has texture, it has mood, and it's engaging as hell. I say this, because even though I buy all kinds of comics every month, I'm not easy to please. I'm a very picky reader. If I'm not interested within the first few lines, not pages, I stop reading. I didn't have that problem with this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment